Monday, June 1, 2009

Summer Movie Series: Drag Me To Hell

Drag Me to Hell

It's mine! My own! My precious!

I had not planned on seeing this movie. I saw the trailers on TV, and decided that a movie about crazy old ladies and flies going up your nose was not my cup of tea. To my dismay, a reunion with old friends turned into a movie outing, and guess what had been chosen to see? Yes, I was dragged to see Drag Me to Hell. Seems appropriate.

This movie is RIDICULOUS. I didn't even want to post a review because I hate thinking about it, but I figured I should try to address all types of movies, so here we are. The movie starts out with a flashback to 1969 in which a little boy visits a medium because he has been cursed by gypsies. The curse causes a person to be harassed by an evil devil spirit, the Lamia, for three days before being dragged by said spirit to hell. The boy is cursed because he stole a necklace from a gypsy cart. WTF. A seven year old shoplifting does not translate to horrible death to me. Gypsies must be sensitive. Remind me not to offend one later. To make sure we see how bad the curse is, the boy is not saved, and instead the floor opens up to a fiery hell and hands come up to pull him down. Flash forward to present day.


Alison Lohman plays Christine, a young farm girl turned loan officer, who is up for a promotion. To get the promotion, she has to show that she can turn people down for loans and not always be so nice. Because Christine is apparently the most unlucky girl on the planet, she decides to start being mean when an old gypsy comes in begging for an extension on her house loan. The movie starts adding a gross factor around this point, too. The lady coughs up what can lightly be described as flem multiple times, and also takes out her teeth at the desk. If I had known it would only get worse from here (grossness-wise), I would have walked out. There is a vomiting corpse later people. How do you vomit when you are dead?!?!? I digress. The lady is denied the loan and feels she is shamed, so she decides Christine deserves to go to hell. She attacks her in a parking garage, has a ridiculous (and again, really gross) fight with her, and then curses her with a button. Yes. A button (reference first picture).


The rest of the movie shows how the curse torments her and the multiple attempts of Christine trying to remove it, including an unfortunate detour from her usual animal rights activist ways. The movie is good at keeping you guessing at who will ultimately die, or if no one will die. I was surprised by the ending. I knew something bad was coming because I guessed what was wrong with the last attempt, but I thought a different character would face the consequences. You'll have to check it out if you want to know how it ends, though I don't ever recommend seeing this unless you LOVE horror movies.

I honestly don't know how this movie is getting good reviews from critics. I would give it two stars, mostly because it made me laugh sometimes. There is one big climactic scene with a seance that gets pretty crazy. And by crazy I mean there is a dancing possessed man and talking goat.


I was scared sometimes just because things were popping out, but the story itself isn't that scary to me. The scares are balanced out well with laughs and grotesque incidents, so I praise Raimi for that. Otherwise, really regretted paying $10 to see this.

No comments:

Post a Comment